Remaining Productive & Creating Routines
When given weeks of free time, it's easy to fall into a place of unhealthy habits. Staying up too late, sleeping in too late, eating unhealthy, not working out etc.. Especially while most of us are practicing social distancing and in self-quarantine, it is so important to not fall into these bad habits. During this time, I have been setting my alarm everyday for 730 a.m. and allowing myself to sleep in 1-2 times per week. When I wake up, I make sure to get right up, brush my teeth and get dressed for the day. Staying in pajamas or sweats all day is my favorite, but doing this several days in a row personally leads me into awful habits with no productivity at all. After getting ready for the day, I will go through any messages, DMs or emails I have to answer. I then make a list of what I need to do for the day. Even if I don't complete it, it gives me the motivation to complete the tasks at hand and keeps me productive all day.
Staying Active and Healthy
As most of us know all gyms have been closed for about a week now. Don't get me wrong, taking time off and giving your body a rest is great, but I know that in order to be productive in life I need movement. Movement and being active is SO important to me. It changes my whole mood and sets the tone for my day. While at home I have been going for walks and trying my best to get one workout in everyday. My favorite at home workout and inspiration is Melissa Wood Health (Instagram @melissawoodhealth). She is so amazing and so inspiring! I have been a member of her online program for about a year now. She has recently developed her app which has made her already convenient at home workouts even easier! Melissa's workouts/flows are all about long, lean lines. Most of her flows consist of using your own body weight and small hand/ankle weights which can also be replaced with household items if you don't own those. My favorite thing about her flows is that they combine yoga, pilates and body weight movements all in one. They are anywhere from 6-50 minutes in length, you can choose which body part you want to focus on or you can combine different ones by doing them back to back. The program is all about tiny, little movements that don't look hard but are SO hard and so effective. And the best part..... her program is only $9.99 PER MONTH! And she offers a 7 day free trial to see if you like it first. Give her a follow and checkout her workouts during all of your free time at home!
Relax and Reflect
Even though it is important to remain productive during this time, it is always a perfect time to relax and reflect. Working on yourself and your mind is also an amazing, productive thing to do during this time. I personally have a stack of books that I have been attempting to read since the beginning of the year, and I am going to take this time to start them. Here's a list of the ones I'm going to start as well as a link to where you can get them on amazon!
Reduce, Reuse, Organize
A few weeks to stay at home? Looks like I can't ignore my overly cluttered closet and vanity anymore... ugh! I don't know why but I'm a pro at putting off organizing and going through all of my things. I figured I would start with my vanity/products then work over to my closet. When I organize and go through my things, although I don't do it as often as I should, when I do I mean serious business. It's all or nothing for me. I'm either letting stuff clutter and pile up for months or I throw everything away!
Here are some tips when it comes to cleaning out your vanity, makeup and products!
- Check the expiration on the bottle/packaging. Most makeup and skincare products expire anywhere from 6-12 months after your first intial use. If it's in a jar it might expire sooner.
- Have you used it in the past 6 months? If not, donate it or give it to a friend
- Have a product that you love or purchased but it just isn't working for you? Maybe your face is sensitive? You don't have to let it go to waste. Use the product on your neck, chest and the top of your hands! Ever heard the saying "you can always tell the age of a woman by her hands"?
- Make your makeup and skincare more visible or organized, this will make sure you're using it since you can easily see and access it- like these clear lipstick caps (pictured above) I found through The Skinny Confidential
- Color coordinate! This is key to making your closet and clothing look appealing when picking out your outfits
- Haven't worn it in 3-6 months? Donate or sell it! Bring it to goodwill or a charity, sell on Poshmark or The Real Real
- Make the most of your space! Utilize all shelving, hang bulkier items and fold smaller items, hang jeans on pants hangers for better visibility
I hope some of these tips and ideas help you guys during this time at home! During this time of social distancing and self-quarantine make sure to stay positive, rest, reflect and remain productive! There is always something you can do to help improve the quality of your life after this all ends. Stay safe and healthy during this time!